GreenWave is creating a future where 3D ocean farms dot on our coastlines in ‘reefs,’ clustered around a seafood hub or distribution center, embedded in offshore wind farms, surrounded by conservation zones, creating a regional ‘merroir.’ To achieve this, our work focuses on three distinct program areas.
Replicate & Scale
Farm Startup & Farmer Apprenticeship Program Our open source model is designed so that anyone with a boat and $20,000 can start their own farm. We help farmers’ start ocean farming businesses by providing necessary resources:
- Legal and Permitting Support: Working with GreenWave staff and partner law firms, farmers receive pro-bono support with their farm applications, crop insurance, and more.
- Startup Grant: Farmers receive a need-based grant to support them with initial farm setup costs.
- Farmer Training: two years of hands-on training on our “floating classroom.”
- Weatherized Gear: With the support of our generous partner, Patagonia, GreenWave farmers receive seasonal gear to protect them from the harshest weather conditions.
- Guaranteed Purchasing: Farmers receive guaranteed purchasing of 80% of their crops at triple the market rate for their first five years.
Our Infrastructure Development Program creates a foundation for the emerging blue-green economy.
- Restorative Hatcheries: Hatcheries produce most of the seed required for ocean farming. With research partners, GreenWave builds multi-species hatcheries to protect native seed varieties and provide reliable and low cost access for farmers.
- Seafood Hub: These facilities increase the capacity of our farmers’ coops to process, store, and ship crops and products. It’s where farmers and innovators can come together to produce value-added products ranging from kelp noodles and bouillon cubes to fertilizers and animal feed. These hubs are a catalyst for regional economic growth, an engine of food justice, and a bridge between land and ocean agriculture.
Our Market Development Program works to create new and stable markets for our farmers’ crops. This program enables us to access stable institutional markets and guarantee that our farmer’s products are sold at above market rates.
- R&D: The potential of many sea vegetables and other restorative species has gained momentum across industries. GreenWave supports research and development efforts that could be game-changers for our farmers and the blue-green economy.
- Regional Partnerships: New markets require new partnerships. GreenWave has been able to leverage its successes to work with incredible partners such as Patagonia, Dock to Dish, Google, and others. We are creating regional purchaser databases that will support our farmers and build reliable outlets for their crops.
- Ecosystem Service Models: GreenWave works with policymakers on the development of carbon and nitrogen trading programs that ensure farmers get paid for the positive environmental value of their work.